Our collection includes hundreds of e-books for adults, children, and youth. Both fiction and non-fiction literature is available, as are comics and audio books.
E-books of the Vanamo libraries can be found in the Ellibs e-book service.
The interface is its own, separate web service that is hosted by Ellibs Oy.
You can read e-books straight from your web browser, download them into a reader program, or through a mobile app.
You can use your PC to listen e-audiobooks straight from the web browser. Same applies for tablets and mobile phones, but you can also use a mobile app for listening or you can download the book onto your device.
- You can browse the collection without logging in.
- First shown by default are the newest acquisitions.
- You can see immediately, which books are available at the moment. If the cover is gray, the book has already been borrowed.
- You can do searches for books and audiobooks by using keywords or by restricting the displayed results according to genre or topic.
- You can also restrict the search according to language, year of publication, age group, or reading format.
- Reservations can be placed on e-books and e-audiobooks.
- Browser reading is also possible - you do not necessarily need a separate reader program.
- Library card and PIN-number for Vanamo libraries
- Computer, tablet, e-reader, or smart phone
- Online connection for borrowing and downloading
- Adobe ID and a valid email address for downloading a reader program
- E-audiobooks can be listened to either directly from the browser or through a mobile app
You can borrow and read books through your browser, a mobile app, or by downloading them into a separate reader program.
1. Read or listen through browser
If you can rely on an uninterrupted online access, you can read or listen the e-material you have borrowed directly from your browser. The service can be used with any browser.
Borrowing works with browsers updated to their latest version. Some e-books, however, still require a separate reader program.
2. Install and use Ellibs mobile app
If you have an Android or iOS device, you can download Ellibs mobile app from Google Play or the App Store. Compatible devices and a more detailed list of features can be found on the store's download page.
After downloading, start the app, choose your library (Vanamo libraries), and log in with your library card number and PIN-code.
You can use the app to browse, borrow, and place reservations on e-books and e-audiobooks. Borrowing, reserving, and book downloading require internet connection. However, you can read, listen, and browse without one.
Books borrowed with the app can also be read from the browser and vice versa. As such, you can use both ways of reading simultaneously.
3. Download the books into your device's reader program
If you cannot use the mobile app, you can get yourself an Adobe account, which allows you to install the required reader program and download the book file into your device.
In the future, you can then download books straight into the reader program.
The account can be created on Adobe's website. You need a valid email address.
Smart phones and tablets (iOS or Android operating system)
- Create Adobe account.
- Install Bluefire Reader on your device from App Store or Google Play. Alternatively, you can use Adobe Digital Editions, available from App Store or Google Play.
- Open the reader program and authorize it with your Adobe ID. Your Adobe ID is the email address you used to create your Adobe account. The authorization is required only once, and in the future the e-books will open automatically in your reader program.
Computers (Windows or Mac), tablets using Windows 8 or 10
- Install Adobe Digital Editions or Bluefire Reader (Windows computers), and authorize it with your Adobe ID.
- There is no reader program for Chromebook. Browser reading is possible with Google Chrome.
- Open the Ellibs service with your browser or start the mobile app.
- Log in with your library card number and PIN-code. When logging in for the first time, you will be asked to state your year of birth and sex. The information provided will be used for improving the collection and keeping statistics. The recorded statistics will not individualize the customer information nor will they form a customer register.
- Click on the cover of the book you want to borrow.
- Choose either Read online or Download. In the mobile app, Borrow is the only option.
- Borrowed e-books are available for reading on My Bookshelf section in the Ellibs app until you return them or the lending period expires.
- If your library card changes, you will have to log in to Ellibs as a new customer. The contents of your old account (loans and reservations) will not be transferred to the new account.
The book opens to your browser.
Borrowed books are available for reading on My Bookshelf tab in the Ellibs library until you return them or the lending period expires.
Not all books are available for reading on the browser.
The file is downloaded onto your device.
- Computer: open the file by double-clicking on it, and the book will open to your reader program.
- Tablet or smartphone: click on the Bluefire icon on your device.
- Borrowed e-books are available for reading in the reader program until you return them or the lending period expires.
Borrow with the mobile app:
The book opens into the app.
- If all copies of the e-book have already been borrowed, it will not be available, and the borrowing buttons will be greyed out.
- Instead, you can click on the Reserve button.
- In the next window, enter the requested information.
- You can see reservations you have made for e-books and e-audiobooks on My Bookshelf section in Ellibs when you are logged in.
- A notification will be sent to your email address once the reservation is available.
- The lending period will begin as soon as the book is in your bookshelf.
Once you have downloaded the e-book into your reader program or mobile app, you can read it without mobile connection. Open the reader program or the mobile app, and just choose from the bookshelf the book you want to read.
In the reader program, you can browse the book, leave bookmarks and notes, use the search function, and copy or print pages within limits allowed by the copyright. Bluefire Reader can be used to adjust the font size, screen brightness, and the page turning effect.
Browser reading requires online connection. Since books read in the browser stay in your bookshelf, you can always continue reading them by logging on into the service.
In the browser and the mobile app, you can adjust the font size and type or the background color of the screen.
- Only one customer may hold a copy of an e-book in their bookshelf at a time.
- You can only hold seven reservations and five loans at a time.
- Lending periods for e-books are 7, 14, and 28 days.
- E-books are returned automatically once the lending period expires, but you can also manually return the book before its due date.
- Loans cannot be renewed. However, a previously borrowed book can be checked out again once you return it.
- Checked out e-books do not show up in Vanamo web library loans.
More detailed instructions can be found on the Ellibs website:
E-books cannot be read with older Windows phones or Windows RT tablets because they have no reader program that supports the required Adobe DRM protection. Browser reading can be done with newer Windows phones.
If downloading does not work on Android device, try another browser, e.g. Google Chrome. If Bluefire Reader is not opening files, try deleting the application and reinstalling it or you can try using the Adobe Digital Editions reader program instead.
If browser reading does not work, update your browser to the newest version.
Synchronizing e-books between different devices
If you want to read the e-book you have borrowed with reader programs on different devices, you can download it from your bookshelf into multiple devices through Ellibs service. The reader programs on the devices must, however, be authorized with the same Adobe ID. In Bluefire, you can also use email to send the e-book to a different device. More information on the Bluefire web page.
You can switch from browser reading to mobile app and vice versa. Borrowed e-books are shown in your bookshelf.
You can send feedback from Ellibs service by using the Send feedback button or alternatively through the library's feedback form.
- What you need for borrowing an e-book
- Three different ways for using the Ellibs service
- Borrowing e-books
- Reserving e-books
- Reading e-books
- Lending periods and limitations
- Help and troubleshooting
- Feedback and questions
Free e-books available online
Free e-books in Ellibs
Free e-books available in the Ellibs service.
Over 57 000 copyright-free e-books available in dozens of different languages.